Social media encourages us to share our information in a number of different ways. A lot of the time, we don’t even know what information we’ve shared or even on what platforms we’ve shared them. We don’t even know what others can see about us online.
Understanding and restricting the sharing of your own information is a serious issue, and controlling this is key to ensuring that you stay safe online. Below are three ways to see what information you’re sharing online – and how to change what you share!
Facebook – Check your public profile
1) Go to your profile page and click on the little arrow that’s in the top right hand corner of your Facebook window, on the blue toolbar.
2) Select “Settings” from the drop down window
3) Select “Timeline and Tagging” from the list on the left hand side.
4) Select “View as” next to the heading “Review what other people can see on your timeline. This will take your to your own profile page, and what is shown on the page will be what the general public (meaning people who aren’t your Facebook friends) can see about you. You can toggle through specific people in the top left hand on this page.
Is there too much information about you here? Delete posts as necessary and tighten up your security settings if you want your Facebook to be more secure!
Google+ – See how your profile appears
1) Hover over the Google+ main menu in the top left corner of your screen and select “Profile”.
2) To the right of the main menu, there’s a drop down menu next to “View profile as”
3) Select “Public”. What shows on your screen is what people who aren’t in your circles can see about you.
If you don’t like what you see, go to Settings and then Profile, and check or uncheck the tabs that you’d like people to see.
LinkedIn – Change your Public Profile Settings
LinkedIn is fairly good about keeping tabs on who can access the pages of others on their platform. However, most people don’t know that a version of your LinkedIn profile appears when people search for your name on Google, Yahoo and Bing. This is called the public profile.
You can control what people see in your LinkedIn public profile doing the following:
1) Hover over your picture in the top right hand corner of your LinkedIn window to see the main menu. Select “Privacy and Settings”
2) From the “Profile” box, select “Edit Your Public Profile”
3) Select what information you’d like to share by checking or unchecking boxes under the “Customize Your Public Profile” list on the right hand side.