For those amongst us who haven’t yet found our perfect partner, online dating can be a lifesaver. After all, if you days are filled up with work, the commute, family, friends, spin classes and grocery shopping, when are you supposed to find the time to meet Mr or Ms Right?
Thank heavens, then, that there are so many dating apps and websites.
How do you maintain your online security when pouring your information online for all to see?
Online dating requires you to sign up for a number of different accounts, and often requires a username, photo, information about your location and personal details such as your sexuality and age.
However, providing this information means that identity thieves or fraudsters can target you—and hackers can find it easier to steal your data.
As well as using a VPN to ensure that your connection to the web is fully secure, there are a number of steps you can take to ensure that your online safety is maintained while you’re online dating:
- Create a username that doesn’t use your real surname or your year of birth
- Never share your address, even when meeting up with someone. Pick a neutral meeting place not too close to your home
- Don’t share your email address
- Use the chat feature in the app or on the website; don’t go “off-site”
- Use secure payment options when paying for your account on the website or app
- Never give out your bank details
- Never give out personal information
SurfEasy VPN puts your online security back into your hands—but a VPN can’t stop you from making bad decisions. Remember to keep security at the front of your mind, even when online dating, and you’ll help to maintain your own safety at all times.
Now—go forth and date!